(The hill on which the Schools stood subsequently acquired the name Russell Hill in honour of the charity's president.) They buildings were designed in a Venetian Gothic style by John George Bland of Birmingham, and the grounds were laid out by Sir Joseph Paxton.
Warehousemen and Clerks' Schools, New Cross, c.1855.
Demand for places at the school steadily increased, with sixty in residence by 1861.
The two-story buildings between the centre and wings, contain the secretary's, matron's, assistant master's, waiting, and other rooms, on the ground floor.
The master's house is on the extreme left, and though communicating with the boys' corridors, is in every other respect a detached building.
If you wish to view more information about this practice, including additional outcome standards, please go to the myhealthlondon website or Keston Medical Practice website Last updated on 09 June 2017.
Back to top We like to keep our patients up to date with matters within the surgery and we aim to do this with our newsletters.
Donations included the sum of £2,500 raised from a Grand Bazaar held at the Crystal Palace.
The new Warehousemen and Clerks' Schools were erected on a 20-acre hilltop site on what is now Russell Hill Road, Purley — historically located in the parish of Beddington.
© Peter Higginbotham Here is a contemporary report (slightly edited) on the new building: WAREHOUSEMEN AND CLERKS' SCHOOLS.